Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
Why study a Foundation Year?
Successfully completing this additional year not only guarantees your place on your choice of a range of linked courses, but also that you'll be better prepared for university study.
The Foundation Year may be for you, if you:
- aren't sure which subject you'd like to specialise in
- don't have the right combination of subjects for direct entry into Year 1
- don't meet the expected requirements for direct entry into Year 1
- are returning to education after some time away.
You'll learn essential skills and knowledge and also benefit from:
- courses designed specifically to prepare you for onward study at Sussex
- dedicated academic support for your subject
- the same access to student funding as for other degrees
- access to University-managed housing during your foundation year, and benefit from advice on renting a room or house in the private sector when you move into your first year.
You can study a Foundation Year at Sussex in the following subject areas:
- Arts and Humanities (with a foundation year) BA
- Business, Management and Economics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Computing Sciences (with a foundation year) BSc
- Design and Business (with a foundation year) BSc
- Engineering (with a foundation year) BEng
- Life Sciences (with a foundation year) BSc
- Mathematics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Physics and Astronomy (with a foundation year) BSc
- Psychology (with a foundation year) BSc
- Social Sciences (with a foundation year) BA
Can a Foundation Year set you up for success? Watch our video...
If you're an international student from outside the EU and your first language isn't English, you may want to consider our International Foundation Year instead. The course may be for you if:
- you don't meet the entry requirements for direct entry into Year 1
- English is not your first language.
The Foundation Year gave me the chance to get comfortable with university life and learn a wide range of multidisciplinary subjects.”Katie Savage
Social Sciences (with a foundation year) BA, now studying Geography BA
What happens after a Foundation Year
If you successfully complete your Foundation Year, you'll be able to progress on to a range of related (linked) subjects.
You'll find details of your choice of progression routes on our Foundation Year course pages. You will move into Year 1 (just as completing Year 1 leads into Year 2, and so on).
Life as a Foundation Year student
Many of our students find a Foundation Year is a great way to settle into University life and begin their undergraduate studies. Hear from some of our Foundation Year students below.
Meeting students on the Foundation Year helped me ease into university. I had a chance to understand the standard of work and organisation needed. This will give me an advantage throughout my university studies.”Kadija Khatun
Business, Management and Economics (with a foundation year) BSc, now studying Business and Management Studies BSc